Instructional Designer, National Democratic Training Committee
The National Democratic Training Committee aims to empower any Democrat who wants to be involved in local politics with the tools needed to be successful. We offer free, interactive online and live training for Democratic candidates, their staff, and leaders within county Democratic parties.
We believe that by supporting these groups we can accomplish three goals: improve the performance of every Democrat up and down the ticket, elect more Democrats to office, and create a deeper bench of qualified candidates for higher office. In 2018, NDTC trained more than 160 candidates who won offices at every level from School Board to U.S. Congress.
NDTC is looking for an Instructional Designer to join our Online Training team and drive the curriculum development for and production of a suite of online courses and associated tools. In this role, you’ll collaborate with other members of the NDTC team and subject matter experts to design curriculum and courses for each of NDTC’s audiences: Democratic candidates, their staff, and leaders within county Democratic parties. While the means you choose to teach the curriculum may vary from course to course, this will often involve writing scripts for video lectures, creating worksheets & templates, and writing text lessons.
- Collaborate with subject matter experts and other members of the NDTC team on the needs assessment, design and development of curriculum.
- Adapt that curriculum for an online training environment, writing and developing video lectures and text content to facilitate trainees’ learning and skill development.
- Create interactive course materials to engage our learners with the training content (e.g., worksheets, quizzes, discussion prompts).
- Produce video lectures, including scouting venues, coordinating with a video crew, and managing the post-production video editor.
- Coordinate with various vendors, volunteers and other team members to take graphics, video content, and other course elements from concept to final products.
- Evaluate and improve existing curriculum and online courses to keep the content current.
- Review and test new and revised curriculum offerings from other team members, providing feedback and suggestions for improvement; contribute to new curriculum or program ideas.
- Collaborate with other members of our team to ensure a cohesive learning experience for NDTC learners and complementary content with our other offerings.
- Write blog posts and other instructional content.
- Respond to learner questions, as needed.
Required experience and skills:
- 4-6 years of professional experience. This is not an entry-level position.
- Experience designing curriculum and teaching/training, with a preference for those with experience creating online training for an adult audience.
- Strong writing skills, with brownie points if you’ve written either for an online audience or speeches or instructional content for others to present.
- Quick learner — you can learn new, complicated concepts and quickly distill them down to concise, logical steps.
- Excellent organizational skills; project management experience a plus.
- Good attention to detail—you should be able to easily spot a random change in font or a missing period in a worksheet.
- Work well on deadlines and in a fast-paced environment while maintaining high standards for your work.
- A good sense of humor and work well in a collaborative, team environment.
- Flexibility for some weekend travel (less than 10%) to assist with NDTC’s in-person trainings.
- You must consider yourself a Democrat.
Ideal candidates will also have:
- Professional experience on a political campaign at any level.
- Foundational knowledge and understanding of learning theory and instructional design techniques.
About NDTC as an Employer
This full-time position reports to the Director of Online Trainings and is located in downtown Chicago.
NDTC believes that our differences enhance our strength as a political party—and as a nation—and we as an organization benefit from staff of diverse races, ethnic origins, religions, sexual orientations, gender identities and expressions, economic backgrounds, abilities, and other facets of our identities.
Salary is commensurate with experience, with a range of $55,000 – $65,000 per year.
NDTC offers a strong benefits package including health insurance with the employee premium paid-in-full by NDTC, a 10% employer match on contributions to 401(k), short- and long-term disability and life insurance, as well as a flexible paid time off policy.
To apply, email resume and cover letter to [email protected] – subject line “Instructional Designer.”
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled, with a preference for applications received by August 11, 2019.