Staff Academy Program Associate
Want to help thousands of candidates, staffers, and leaders across the country? Want to help progressive and Democratic organizations build the long-term power needed for success, not just this year, but for years to come? Do you want to be a part of a team of creative, passionate, and driven individuals who sincerely care about the work they are doing? Do you want to use your skills, relationships, and expertise to help your community and your country?
The National Democratic Training Committee (NDTC) is a hybrid PAC that offers free, interactive online and in-person training for Democratic candidates, staff, and leaders. We aim to empower any Democrat who wants to be involved in politics with the tools needed to be successful.
In 2019, NDTC launched the Staff Academy, a program designed to recruit, train, and connect new leaders to paid career opportunities in Democratic politics across the country. Staff Academy prioritizes recruiting leaders that reflect the base of the Democratic Party – people who identify as women, as trans or non-binary, and as people of color as cohort members.
In its second year, Staff Academy aims to graduate 100 new campaign staff who are deeply trained in the essential skills needed to operate in the fields of communications, digital, and fundraising, as well as the underlying management and leadership practices needed to succeed on a campaign. This will be accomplished through a 10-week intensive training program with blended online and in-person training as well as numerous professional development activities.
NDTC is seeking a Program Associate (PA) to recruit, manage, and coach the next cohort of Staff Academy graduates. A successful program associate will collaborate with all members of the Staff Academy team on a regular basis to develop and execute a program that will attract, train, and prepare a diverse and talented group of individuals for paid campaign roles on Democratic campaigns across the country.
- Effectively articulate the NDTC Staff Academy mission to applicants, cohort members, and external partners and stakeholders to accomplish the goals of recruiting a strong cohort and supporting graduates in their job search.
- Use established criteria to review a large number of applications within a tight timeline to identify potential Staff Academy cohort members.
- Interview potential Staff Academy cohort members to effectively evaluate if the applicant would be a strong fit for the program.
- Participate in a team-based process to determine which applicants will be offered acceptance into the Staff Academy cohort factoring in various inputs and internal program guidelines.
Program and People Management:
- Design and implement strategies and experiences to build community among Staff Academy cohort members and to support the cohort members’ professional development.
- Support Staff Academy cohort members in successfully learning and growing while completing program requirements through regular 1-1 engagement and coaching.
- Managing communication with cohort members, including giving positive and constructive feedback, receiving feedback about the program, and problem solving individual and group challenges.
- Co-facilitate weekly evening webinars and office hours to help cohort members achieve learning objectives and build community.
- Assess program strengths and identify areas for improvement to make recommendations on program improvement. Participate in team-based efforts to continually strive for excellence in Staff Academy.
- At least one cycle of electoral campaign experience.
- At least one cycle or 1-2 years of experience in the communications field is highly preferred. Experience in digital or fundraising will also be considered.
- Experience managing people or teams which may include managing peers, interns, volunteers, or staff.
- Are able to communicate effectively and build relationships with a diverse set of stakeholders, trainees, staff, and others.
- Are outcomes focused, well-organized, and a community builder.
- Work well with deadlines and fast-paced environments.
- Ability to work some weekends and evenings as necessary.
About NDTC as an Employer
This full-time position reports to the Staff Academy Program Manager and is located in downtown Chicago.
NDTC believes that our differences enhance our strength as a political party—and as a nation—and we as an organization benefit from staff of diverse races, ethnic origins, religions, sexual orientations, gender identities and expressions, economic backgrounds, abilities, and other facets of our identities.
Salary is commensurate with experience, with a range of $36,000 – $50,000 per year. NDTC offers a strong benefits package including health insurance with the employee premium paid-in-full by NDTC, a 10% employer match on contributions to 401(k), short and long-term disability and life insurance, as well as a flexible paid time off policy. Additionally, NDTC’s offices close for 3 full weeks each year during Thanksgiving, final week of December, and first week in January as well as all Federal holidays.
To apply, email resume and cover letter to [email protected] – subject line “Staff Academy Program Associate.” Applications received by Monday, September 3 will be given priority consideration. No calls, please. In your cover letter, please include the date on which you would be available to start. Ideal start date is no later than Monday, October 14th.
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled.