What You’ll Learn
- How to create an event that will meet your campaign’s goals
- When to schedule your campaign events
- How to organize your event’s logistics
Why This is Important
Events can be effective for meeting voters, building relationships, and raising money. They can also be a drain on valuable resources: time, money, and people. Thoughtful and thorough planning is the only way to make sure that your events are more gain than drain. In this course, we cover what you need to know to plan successful events that contribute to your field and fundraising goals.
- Template Event Timeline and Checklist
- Template Contribution Card
- Sample Event Sign-In Sheet
- Writing Your Fundraising Plan — For an event to contribute to your fundraising goals, you have to first set those goals in your plan
- Building Your Volunteer Team — House party events can support your volunteer recruitment efforts. In this course, you will determine what those volunteer needs are so you can decide if an event will best contribute to them
Kelly is the Founder and CEO of the National Democratic Training Committee.
He has worked on dozens of campaigns at every level across the country. Kelly's specialty is in new campaign creation, candidate and staff training, and fundraising.
In addition to working for 18+ years in Democratic politics, he teaches a class on political campaigns at DePaul University in Chicago, where he lives with his family and dog, a large hungry blue Weimaraner named Jack Bauer. Kelly started his career in 1998 with Rep. Dennis Moore in KS-03. He's an avid basketball and poker player, though never at the same time. His wife would point out that at no time in this biography was he described as "good" at either hobby. That was a conscious decision.