Staff Academy Operations Associate
Remote | Chicago, IL
Want to help thousands of candidates, staffers, and leaders across the country? Want to help progressive and Democratic organizations build the long-term power needed for success, not just this year, but for years to come? Do you want to be a part of a team of creative, passionate, and driven individuals who sincerely care about the work they are doing? Do you want to use your skills, relationships, and expertise to help your community and your country?
The National Democratic Training Committee (NDTC) is a hybrid PAC that offers free, interactive online and in-person training for Democratic candidates, staff, and leaders. We aim to empower any Democrat who wants to be involved in politics with the tools needed to be successful.
In 2019, NDTC launched the Staff Academy, a program designed to recruit, train, and connect new leaders to paid career opportunities in Democratic politics across the country. When inviting applicants to join our program, we prioritize leaders who are women, people of color, and trans and nonbinary.
In its third year, Staff Academy aims to graduate 150 new campaign staff who are deeply trained in the essential skills needed to operate in the fields of communications, digital, and fundraising, as well as the underlying management and leadership practices needed to succeed on a campaign. This will be accomplished through a 10-week intensive training program with blended online and in-person training as well as numerous professional development activities. Given the uncertainty surrounding COVID-19, the in-person training event may be held virtually.
NDTC is seeking a Staff Academy Operations Associate to manage logistical processes in support of the next cohort of Staff Academy graduates. A successful Operations Associate will work collaboratively with all members of the Staff Academy team to execute a program that will attract and train campaign staff across the country. This role will serve to ensure smooth program operations by communicating with cohort members, maintaining budgets, and creating data reports. The Operations Associate will be a primary point of contact for logistics. This position will report to the Staff Academy Operations Manager.
- Anonymize applications during the application review process to ensure an unbiased review of all applicants
- Communicate with prospective and current applicants by answering questions in a shared NDTC email inbox
- Schedule interviews using Calendly and Google Calendar on behalf of NDTC staff and applicants as a key point in the applicant decision process
- Interview potential Staff Academy cohort members to effectively evaluate if the applicant would be a strong fit for the program
- Manage processes for program admission decisions including applicable paperwork
- Analyze program data and create data reports to share with internal and external stakeholders in order to assess and improve the program
- Collaborate on the operations for a live training event. This event may be in-person or virtual depending on the current COVID-19 pandemic. Responsibilities could include: making travel and lodging arrangements, planning catering, purchasing materials, coordinating staffing, and setting up Zoom meetings
- Facilitate contract negotiations with prospective vendors for training events
- Manage vendor and consultant relationships for training events including processing payments, signing contracts, and attending meetings
- Facilitate the management of program webinars as needed
- Maintain and review program budget to ensure accuracy and provide reporting documentation as needed
- Develop and manage processes for conducting mock interviews on behalf of cohort members and NDTC external partners as a job preparedness tool
- May manage an intern who supports the full team with operations-related projects
- May assist other teams with special NDTC events with external partners
- Ability to communicate effectively and build relationships with a diverse set of stakeholders, trainees, staff, and others.
- Strong organizational skills, outcomes-focused, and a community builder
- Not necessary, but familiarity and experience on campaigns as staff, intern, or volunteer is a plus
- Ability to work some weekends and evenings as necessary during the program (October-March for 2020-2021 program). NDTC works with staff to ensure they have predictable schedules dictated by our program’s design. Regular work schedules will be adjusted and planned to accommodate these regular evening and weekend commitments. It is not the norm, but some weeks, we may need to work over 40 hours to execute Staff Academy. Any time worked above 40 hours will be provided in comped with time off within 2 weeks of the overage.
About NDTC as an Employer
Salary is commensurate with experience for this entry level role with a range of $50,000 to $60,000 per year.
Due to COVID-19, this position is remote through at least early 2021. NDTC will reopen an office in Chicago, IL when it is safe for us to resume working in an office, traveling, and holding in-person meetings. At that time, this role will be based in Chicago, IL.
NDTC offers a strong benefits package including health insurance with the employee premium paid-in-full by NDTC, a 10% employer match on contributions to 401(k), short and long-term disability and life insurance, as well as a flexible paid time off policy. Additionally, NDTC’s offices close for a full week each year during Thanksgiving, final week of December, and first week in January as well as all Federal holidays.
NDTC believes that our differences enhance our strength as a political party—and as a nation—and we as an organization benefit from staff of diverse races, ethnic origins, religions, sexual orientations, gender identities and expressions, economic backgrounds, abilities, and other facets of our identities.
To apply, email resume and cover letter in PDF format to [email protected] – subject line “Staff Academy Operations Associate.” Applications received by July 26, 2020 will be given priority consideration. No calls, please.
In your cover letter, please write about your experience managing a group to achieve a shared goal, its outcomes, and the transferable skills you learned. Please include the date on which you would be available to start. Ideal start date is no later than September 1, 2020.
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled.