What You’ll Learn
- What types of fundraising and compliance laws you may encounter
- Legal implications your candidate’s current elected role may have on the campaign
- The steps for processing a contribution
- How to research and apply relevant fundraising and compliance laws
Why This Is Important
This is an area where following the rules is important. The consequences for not following all of the campaign finance laws and rules can range from having to resubmit a campaign finance report on one end of the spectrum to prison time on the far other end — with bad press being the most common consequence. Taking this course will help you get it right the first time so you can have peace of mind.
- Kentucky’s Candidate Guide to Campaign Finance
- Campaign Finance Startup Resources, by State
- Sample Compliance Plan
- Managing Your Fundraising Data — Set up the systems to keep track of your data properly — a key aspect of complying with campaign finance laws
At the time this course was created, Rose was the Director of Online Trainings at NDTC. She is currently the Director of Voter Protection at the Texas Democratic Party.
Prior to joining NDTC, Rose was a National Coordinator at the Lawyers’ Committee for Civil Rights Under Law, where she managed the non-partisan Election Protection hotline, training and managing thousands of volunteers who answered tens of thousands of voters’ questions in the 2014 and 2016 elections. She organized state-level poll monitoring and election reform advocacy efforts in Pennsylvania, New York and Florida. Previously, Rose worked at the New Organizing Institute creating an online guide to election laws, served as deputy campaign manager on a Virginia gubernatorial primary campaign and was a regional field director on a Florida gubernatorial campaign. Rose has a Master in Public Policy from the McCourt School of Public Policy at Georgetown University and a Bachelor of Science in Public Relations from the University of Florida. She is a Chicago native and in her free time enjoys running, yoga, watching Top Chef, and trying new vegetarian recipes (and getting omnivores to try them!)