What You’ll Learn
- How to research advance voting options that will be available for your election
- How to identify the voters your campaign will contact during GOTV (or Get Out the Vote)
- How to make the most of your volunteers during GOTV
Why This is Important
You’ve worked hard for months earning voters’ support. Now it’s time to make sure they get to the polls and actually vote with a targeted and effective Get Out the Vote (GOTV) strategy.
- Your GOTV Universe — a worksheet that helps you identify the voters to contact during GOTV
- Sample Early Voting and Absentee Voting Guide — an informational document that can be modified and given to voters while canvassing
- Daily Goals Worksheet – GOTV — used to estimate how many hours you and your volunteers will need to spend canvassing and phone banking to reach your GOTV goals
- Sample Phone Scripts for:
- ID’d Supporters and Base Voters
- Early Voters
- Field Tactics — Learn how to train and manage your canvassing and phone banking efforts, which will be key during GOTV
- Building Your Volunteer Team — Learn how to recruit and retain volunteers so they stick around for GOTV
- Digital 101 — You’ll want to remind your supporters to vote in multiple ways, including on your website and social media
Kelly is the Founder and CEO of the National Democratic Training Committee.
He has worked on dozens of campaigns at every level across the country. Kelly's specialty is in new campaign creation, candidate and staff training, and fundraising.
In addition to working for 18+ years in Democratic politics, he teaches a class on political campaigns at DePaul University in Chicago, where he lives with his family and dog, a large hungry blue Weimaraner named Jack Bauer. Kelly started his career in 1998 with Rep. Dennis Moore in KS-03. He's an avid basketball and poker player, though never at the same time. His wife would point out that at no time in this biography was he described as "good" at either hobby. That was a conscious decision.