What You’ll Learn
- The different organizations within the Democratic Party
- How to identify the functions of the different elected offices
Why This is Important
This course will help you decide what level of campaign you want to work on (e.g., state representative, U.S. Senate) and who the organizational players are that you might be engaging with to get that job and once you have it.
- Research Policy Activity worksheet — research the difference between policies handled at the federal, state, and local levels of government
- Supporting PACs and Organizations list
- Starting a Career in Politics — You’ll explore what campaign life is really like and decide if this is the right career path for you and what role on a campaign might be a good fit
- Raising Money from PACs and Labor Unions — Some of the organizations we discuss in this course donate to campaigns, too. Learn how to earn their financial support
An educator and organizer with over 10 years of experience, Johnaé joined NDTC to further her goal of securing a true democracy for folks on the margins. A former candidate herself, Johnaé brings a lens for authenticity and equity to her work to support nontraditional candidates in breaking up the "old boys' club". Johnaé holds a BA and MAT from the University of Chicago in International Studies and Urban Education. When she isn't building tools for democracy, Johnaé can be found making music, losing dance battles to her two children, Akeim and Jari, or in her hometown of Cleveland.