What You’ll Learn
- How to target the right version of your message to the right people on the right platforms
- How to schedule campaign communications
- How to determine what paid media to include in your strategy
Why This is Important
Communicating your message effectively is essential if you are going to convince people that you deserve their vote. In this course, you will plan how to use the communication tools available to you to get your message to the right people at the right time.
- Template Media List — a spreadsheet for organizing your media contacts
- Template Press Release
- Template Press Advisory
- Sample Communications Plan
- Template Communications Plan
- Press Interview Preparation Worksheet
- Assessing Paid Media Worksheet
- Crafting Your Message — If you haven’t developed your campaign message yet, what are you waiting for? You need a message to communicate to your voters
- Digital Campaigning: Social Media — Guides you in incorporating social media platforms like Facebook into your communications plan
Public Relations & Political Consultant
Linara Davidson is the Managing Director for Development and External affairs at East Harlem Tutorial Program (EHTP) where she is responsible for raising $7 million of the operating budget, building relationships and working with media. She comes to EHTP from the public relations and government sector, and is currently an adjunct instructor at John Jay College of Criminal Justice. She recently worked for Hillary for America. Prior to that, Linara worked as a Vice President at Ogilvy Public Relations in their Corporate Group. She also served in New York City government for nine years in various capacities, and in 2012, was recognized by City & State as one of the city's top 40 under 40 Political Rising Stars.
Linara served on the Board of Trustees for the Cathedral School of St. John the Divine for eight years; Advocates for Youth for six years; and is currently on a board member for the National Black Theatre. Linara received her MPA at Columbia University's School of International and Public Affairs and is a graduate of New York University where she holds a B.S. in Humanities.