Can your writing motivate someone to act? Are you a copywriting magician when it comes to crafting words that resonate and convert? Are you passionate about using cutting edge digital tools to improve an organization’s outcomes? Do you have experience working as part of a team to execute a marketing plan?
Then this is your opportunity to use your copywriting skills to help connect with and support Democratic candidates, campaign staff, and local leaders across the country.
The National Democratic Training Committee is looking for a full-time, in-house marketing copywriter to address our growing marketing needs. You’ll use your writing skills to create concise, conversion-driven copy to bolster the NDTC email and text marketing programs. You’ll use your marketing experience to help create, build, and analyze the impact content has towards NDTC’s goals and objectives.
This position is on the marketing team and reports to the associate marketing director.
In this position you will:
- Write powerful direct response conversion copy.
- Work with the email marketing specialist to create powerful, data-driven email campaigns that drive organizational goals.
- Be a key player in telling the NDTC’s story to its core constituencies through digital platforms.
- Help execute marketing campaigns by drafting and proofing email and text copy, coding/loading emails, and analyzing results.
- Test copy performance, report data, and improve copy based on results.
- Report to the digital team on broader trends, strategies, and best practices in conversion copy.
- Copy edit marketing copy across other channels (blog, social, event descriptions) as needed.
- Brainstorm marketing campaigns in collaboration with marketing leadership.
- Political experience and understanding of political landscape.
- Ability to write direct response conversion copy.
- Understanding of the organizational voice and ability to apply it consistently across all content channels.
- Ability to test different copy, measure quantitatively, and improve based on results.
- Knowledge of AP style and application of it in copy (but with a love of the Oxford comma)
- Understanding of data-based marketing strategy and how to apply them in copywriting.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills.
- Strong copy editing skills with a keen attention to detail.
- Self-starter who can work independently, but who thrives in collaborative team environments.
- A passion to learn and grow, and a great sense of humor!
Nice-to-Haves, but Not Required Experiences and Skills:
- Working knowledge of HTML, CSS
- Familiarity with an email marketing CRM.
- Interest or experience in creative writing.
- Comfort with virtual training environment tools (such as Zoom).
- A passion for puns.
About NDTC as an Employer
This full-time position will join the marketing team and will report to the associate marketing director.
Due to COVID-19, this position is remote through the end of 2021 with a desire for the role to be permanently based in Chicago, IL (in-person when able). NDTC will reopen an office in Chicago, IL when it is safe for us to resume working in an office, travel, and hold in-person meetings.
NDTC believes that our differences enhance our strength as a political party—and as a nation—and we as an organization benefit from staff of diverse races, ethnic origins, religions, sexual orientations, gender identities and expressions, economic backgrounds, abilities, and other facets of our identities.
Salary is commensurate with experience, with a range of $60-70k per year. NDTC offers a strong benefits package including health insurance with the employee premium paid-in-full by NDTC, a 10% employer match on contributions to 401(k), short and long-term disability and life insurance, as well as a flexible paid time off policy. Additionally, NDTC’s offices close for a full week each year during Thanksgiving, a two-week winter break, and first week in January as well as all Federal holidays.
To apply please email [email protected] with:
- Your resume.
- A cover letter that acts as a conversion copy email.
- Two writing samples — each no more than 400 words each.
- The date you are available to start.
Please list “marketing copywriter” in the subject line. No calls, please.
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled.