Staff Academy Communications Content Reviewer
NDTC is hiring one consultant who specializes in communications tactics for candidate campaigns. This consultant will be supporting NDTC’s Staff Academy, which is a program designed to recruit, train, and connect new staff to paid career opportunities in Democratic politics across the country. When selecting program participants, we prioritize leaders who are women, trans and non-binary, Indigenous, and people of color.
In this program, cohort members submit assignments for review and feedback in order to practice the skills needed to operate on communications teams on Democratic campaigns. We are hiring a consultant to work with our program team to review submitted assignments in a timely manner and provide effective feedback that helps our cohort members grow and succeed.
Campaign Communications Content Reviewer
We are hiring a campaign Communications Content Reviewer to support our third cohort of aspiring campaign comms staffers (part of our Staff Academy). The Reviewer will specifically:
- Provide feedback on trainees’ assignments in writing
- Attend meetings with a NDTC Instructional Designer, Staff Academy Program Associate, and others as needed in order to prepare for grading and review completed feedback
- Attend regular meetings with Communications Live Training and Professional Development Coach to discuss grading as needed (typically weekly)
- At least 1 cycle of experience as a Communications Director on a candidate campaign OR comparable Communications Leadership role and 4+ years of political comms experience.
- The ability to assess the execution of the following skills using the NDTC grading rubric:
- developing a communications plan
- drafting a stump speech in the candidates voice
- compile and manage a press list
- create and manage campaign content calendar
Time Expectations & Compensation:
The contract will run January 4, 2021 to April 30, 2021. The rate for this role is $60/hour.
There will be 3 assessments in the duration of this contract and additional time requested for feedback on the cohort members’ Campaign Communication Plans throughout the program. On average, we expect each assessment to take 20-30 hours to complete grading. There will be team meetings in preparation for grading each assessment. Additional hours may be requested to review grading and align on feedback with the Communications Live training and Professional Development Coach.
The monthly assessment expectation for this role is outlined below.
- January 2021: Prep work for assignments
- February 2021: Assessment 1 + 2
- March 2021: Assessment 3
- April 2021: No assessments – time may be requested for a 1 hour debrief
Please submit the following items (cover letters are not requested) via email to Danny Perez at [email protected] with the subject line “Campaign Communications Content Reviewer Application”. Applications received by November 13, 2020 will be given priority consideration. No calls, please.
- Your resume in PDF format
- Two references (preferably current or former consulting clients)
- 2-3 examples of communications content you created with a 1-paragraph explanation of the key metrics used to evaluate the success of the content.
- Review and provide constructive feedback on the simulated trainee assignment included below. The trainee assignment was to draft a new 3-minute stump speech for a fictional candidate’s event with the local SEIU, and they were to rewrite their candidate’s “Living Wage” and “Right to Choose” issues on their candidate’s website. The materials you will need:
a. The assignment you are evaluating
b. The rubric for evaluation (please make a copy of this rubric to record your feedback in)
c. For reference: The stump speech they were assigned to improve
d. For reference: The fictional candidate’s website