Staff Academy Recruitment and Engagement Assistant
Remote | Chicago, IL
Want to help thousands of candidates, staffers, and leaders across the country? Want to help progressive and Democratic organizations build the long-term power needed for success, not just this year, but for years to come? Do you want to be a part of a team of creative, passionate, and driven individuals who sincerely care about the work they are doing? Do you want to use your skills, relationships, and expertise to help your community and your country?
The National Democratic Training Committee (NDTC) is a hybrid PAC that offers free, interactive online and in-person training for Democratic candidates, staff, and leaders. We aim to empower any Democrat who wants to be involved in politics with the tools needed to be successful.
In 2019, NDTC launched the Staff Academy, a program designed to recruit, train, and connect new leaders to paid career opportunities in Democratic politics across the country. When inviting applicants to join our program, we prioritize leaders who are women, people of color, and trans and nonbinary.
In its third year, Staff Academy aims to graduate 150 new campaign staff who are deeply trained in the essential skills needed to operate in the fields of communications, digital, and fundraising, as well as the underlying management and leadership practices needed to succeed on a campaign. This will be accomplished through a 10-week intensive training program with blended online and in-person training as well as numerous professional development activities.
NDTC is seeking Staff Academy Recruitment and Engagement Assistant to recruit and support the next cohort of Staff Academy graduates. A successful assistant will work collaboratively with all members of the Staff Academy team to execute a program that will attract and train campaign staff across the country. The responsibilities of the Staff Academy Recruitment and Engagement Assistant will include helping to build an effective cohort of campaign staff as well as program maintenance such as grading assignments and scheduling meetings. This position will report to their Program Associate.
- Serve as a liaison between NDTC and potential cohort members by managing applications, handling interviews, and advising on hiring decisions.
- Use established criteria to review a large number of applications within a tight timeline to identify potential Staff Academy cohort members.
- Interview potential Staff Academy cohort members to effectively evaluate if the applicant would be a strong fit for the program.
- Assist Program Associate by scheduling and preparing them for 1:1 meetings with cohort members by updating reports and spreadsheets.
- Facilitate the grading and resubmission process for course assignments.
- Provide 1-1 feedback on resumes for cohort members to support their job search efforts.
- Manage community engagement on public Slack channels.
- Attend weekly webinars, office hours, and other online meetings.
- Review online courses prior to publishing to ensure best quality.
- At least one cycle of electoral campaign experience.
- 1-2 years of experience in the fields of digital, fundraising or communications is highly preferred.
- Are able to communicate effectively and build relationships with a diverse set of stakeholders, trainees, staff, and others.
- Are outcomes-focused, well-organized, and a community builder.
- Work well with deadlines and fast-paced environments.
- Ability to work some weekends and evenings as necessary. NDTC works with staff to ensure they have predictable schedules dictated by our program’s design. Regular work schedules will be adjusted and planned to accommodate these regular evening and weekend commitments. It is not the norm, but some weeks, we may need to work over 40 hours to execute Staff Academy. Any time worked above 40 hours will be provided in comped with time off within 2 weeks of the overage.
About NDTC as an Employer
This is a remote, full-time, 1099 Independent Contractor based position from September 2020 through April 2021 at $4,500/month, reports to the Program Associate. Please note, you will need to supply your own laptop.
NDTC believes that our differences enhance our strength as a political party—and as a nation—and we as an organization benefit from staff of diverse races, ethnic origins, religions, sexual orientations, gender identities and expressions, economic backgrounds, abilities, and other facets of our identities.
To apply, email resume and cover letter in PDF format to [email protected] – subject line “Staff Academy Recruitment and Engagement Assistant.” Applications received by July 26, 2020 will be given priority consideration. No calls, please.
In your cover letter, please tell us about your experience managing yourself and include the date on which you would be available to start. Ideal start date is no later than September 1, 2020.
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled.