If you have a question that is not covered here, please email us at [email protected]. We strive to respond to all emails within two business days.
The NDTC Staff Academy is an intensive online and in-person training program that seeks to recruit, train, and place the next generation of Democratic campaign staffers to run winning campaigns. The goal of this program is to train future staffers to become finance directors and digital directors, and then work with our partners to place them on campaigns across the country.
As a participant in this program, you will receive valuable training in the hard skills you need to succeed in finance or digital roles, as well as management and leadership skills that will help you succeed throughout your career. NDTC will continue to support and foster this community of campaign staffers as you grow your career in politics.
The Finance Director creates, executes, and tracks the campaign’s fundraising plan. This usually includes:
- Crafting the campaign’s fundraising plan, including revenue goals, timelines and avenues for raising money
- Managing candidate fundraising calls, including researching donors, supporting the candidate during call time, entering data, and following up with donors and potential donors
- Planning and executing fundraising events and meet and greets
- Working with other members of the campaign team, including the candidate, other staff, and volunteers to make sure that fundraising goals are met
- Tracking success of various tactics and reporting results back to the candidate and campaign manager
The Digital Director is responsible for determining a campaign’s digital strategy and is oftentimes responsible for executing and tracking said strategy. This can include:
- Creating the campaign’s digital plan, content calendar, and ad budget breakdown
- Determining how best to use digital tools to meet campaign goals including fundraising, volunteer recruitment, list growth, and voter turnout
- Working closely with fundraising and field teams to ensure consistency across all online and offline content
- Drafting and sending email blasts, ad copy, social posts, and text message blasts
- Reporting status updates and overall results back to the candidate and campaign manager
The 2018 election cycle revealed a critical shortage of qualified campaign staff to provide the strategy and collaborative leadership needed to win campaigns at every level.
If we want Democrats to continue to succeed at the ballot box in 2019 and beyond, we need to invest the time and effort needed to ensure we have qualified staffers to run successful campaigns.
We spent time talking with our partners, candidates, and trainees and determined a program targeting digital and finance staffers would help us best fill the much-needed gaps we were seeing.
We also know that to date, beginning a career in politics has not been open to everyone. Part of the problem is campaign jobs are often only shared “within the community”. In other words, you have to have an “in” or someone in your network who is involved in politics to even know that a job is available and be considered. This system isn’t working. Many people who would make great campaign staffers — especially people of color, women, and non-binary folks — never get the opportunity to work on a campaign. We are committed to opening doors for these folks and to helping campaigns benefit from their experiences and perspectives.
You will be a great fit for this program if you:
- You want to make a difference in your community.
- You want your work to be aligned with your passions.
- You want to be in the room where it happens.
- You want to change the world, and make it a better place.
- You are passionate about Democratic politics.
- You are committed to learning how to run a strategic data-driven campaign (no previous experience necessary).
People of color, women, LGBTQ+ candidates, and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply. NDTC believes our differences enhance our strength as a political party – and as a nation. Campaigns benefit from a staff of diverse races, ethnic origins, religions, sexual orientations, gender identities and expressions, economic backgrounds, abilities, and other facets of identity which make you, you.
You don’t need any experience in fundraising or digital strategy to apply. We’re going to teach you everything you need to get started in that field. This can be your entry into politics. If you’re a Democrat who wants to shape the world around you, this program is designed for you.
No. No experience needed. This can be your entry into politics. If you’re a Democrat who wants to shape the world around you this program is designed for you.
Preference will be given to individuals who have some demonstrated community engagement experience. You may have organized a voter registration drive or you may have spoken out at a city council meeting. You may have volunteered with or been a field organizer for a local political campaign or perhaps you organized a community action around an issue negatively impacting your community. Any of these — or a million other — experiences are ideal foundations that we’ll build upon in the NDTC Staff Academy.
If circumstances haven’t allowed you the ability to engage directly with your community, that’s ok, too. We realize not everyone has access to the same opportunities. If that is the case for you, tell us about it in your application. We are committed to building a more inclusive and egalitarian Democratic party.
Nothing. There is no tuition cost for the training program, and NDTC will pay for your travel to/from the in-person training as well as your accommodations and meals once you’re here.
We expect everyone who successfully completes the program to work on a Democratic political campaign. We are committed to facilitating introductions and interview opportunities for all of our participants who successfully complete the program until they are offered a position.
If you have any other questions, you can email us at [email protected]. We strive to respond to all emails within two business days.