What You’ll Learn
- How to effectively manage up to your candidate and manage laterally within your team
- How to use shared leadership to maximize your team’s capacity
- Ways to apply an equity lens to your management and leadership approach
Why This is Important
It’s easy to think of management as a top-down process between “boss” and “subordinates,” but this is only part of the picture. How you engage with people across from and above you on the org chart is just as central to your team’s success as how you manage direct reports and volunteers. In this course, you’ll learn strategies for managing your candidate and other stakeholders in ways that set them, you, and your campaign, up for success.
- Managing Time, Deadlines, and Priorities — In this course, you’ll learn how to balance the competing demands of campaign life, using SMART goals and action planning to guide your efforts
- Creating a Positive Team Culture — Learn how to set inclusive norms on your team, and how to support each other in building a culture of equity, accountability, and consistently high standards
An educator and organizer with over 10 years of experience, Johnaé joined NDTC to further her goal of securing a true democracy for folks on the margins. A former candidate herself, Johnaé brings a lens for authenticity and equity to her work to support nontraditional candidates in breaking up the "old boys' club". Johnaé holds a BA and MAT from the University of Chicago in International Studies and Urban Education. When she isn't building tools for democracy, Johnaé can be found making music, losing dance battles to her two children, Akeim and Jari, or in her hometown of Cleveland.