What You’ll Learn
- How to incorporate canvassing and phone banking into your broader field plan
- How to train a group of volunteers to canvass and phone bank
- How to set up your volunteers to canvass and phone bank
Why This is Important
Talking to voters one-on-one is one of the best tools you have to persuade voters to support you, so you have to make sure you’re doing it right. In this course you’ll learn tried and true tactics that will greatly improve your voter contact efforts.
- Weekly & Daily Goals Worksheet — used to estimate how many hours you and your volunteers will need to spend canvassing and phone banking to reach your goals
- Sample Training Agendas for Canvassing & Phone Banking
- Sample Persuasion Script for Canvassing & Phone Banking
- Template Volunteer Sign-In Sheet
- Template Volunteer Tally & Check-in Sheet for Canvassing & Phone Banking
- Sample Canvassing Fundamentals — tip sheet for volunteers
- Key Talking Points Guide for Phone Banking
- VoteBuilder 101 or Targeting Voters (if you’re not using VoteBuilder) — Will help you calculate your persuasion universe size and identify the specific groups of voters that your volunteers will talk to
- Building Your Volunteer Team — Will help you recruit and manage your volunteers who are going to be canvassing and phone banking, or your volunteer coordinator who will do that for you
Pavitra Abraham is the former Director of Live Training and Political Partnerships at the National Democratic Training Committee. She got her start as a field organizer on Barack Obama's presidential campaign in Michigan, where she first fell in love with organizing. Since then, she has spent time with the National Organization for Women and People for the American Way working to reach women of color across the country through grassroots organizing. Before coming to NDTC, she was the Training Director for Hillary Clinton's presidential campaign in Iowa.
A proud Michigan native, Pavitra is a graduate of the University of Michigan with a degree in political science, focusing on American politics and gender studies. In her spare time, she enjoys all reality television, attending the Chicago Symphony, and cheering on Michigan sports. Go Blue!