What You’ll Learn
- How to identify specific groups of voters who will comprise your persuasion universe
- How to determine the strategies you will use to reach your targeted voters
- How to prioritize the various groups of voters you’re targeting
If your campaign will not be using VoteBuilder, this is the targeting course for you. But if you will be using the VoteBuilder software, take “VoteBuilder 101” instead.
Why This is Important
Most campaigns don’t have the time, money, or people to talk to every single eligible voter — nor is this a good use of those resources in most cases. This course helps you determine which voters your campaign should communicate with and determine the best strategies to reach them so you can be efficient and effective with your resources.
- Your Persuasion Targets Worksheet
- Sample Field Plan
- Precinct Ranking Example & Template
- Calculating your Vote Goal — If you don’t have your persuasion universe size calculated yet, take this course and complete its Key Field Numbers Workbook so you can complete the activities in “Targeting Voters”
- Field Tactics — Once “Targeting Voters” helps you identify who you need to contact, it’s time to start talking to them. This course will help you set up your voter contact efforts, including training and supporting your volunteers
Kelly is the Founder and CEO of the National Democratic Training Committee. He has worked on dozens of campaigns at every level across the country. Kelly's specialty is in new campaign creation, candidate and staff training, and fundraising. In addition to working for 18+ years in Democratic politics, he teaches a class on political campaigns at DePaul University in Chicago, where he lives with his family and dog, a large hungry blue Weimaraner named Jack Bauer. Kelly started his career in 1998 with Rep. Dennis Moore in KS-03. He's an avid basketball and poker player, though never at the same time. His wife would point out that at no time in this biography was he described as "good" at either hobby. That was a conscious decision.