What You’ll Learn
- How and why PACs (Political Action Committees support candidates and campaigns through endorsements and financial contributions
- How to identify which PACs might be interested in a specific candidate or campaign
- How to custom tailor your pitch to a PAC
Why This is Important
PACs can provide a platform for your campaign to raise money, gain endorsements (and press), and recruit a whole new audience of volunteers and supporters.
- List of Supporting PACs and Organizations
- List of AFL-CIO Affiliated Unions
- Template Fundraising Plan
- Aisha Iqbal’s Unions & PACs Plan
- Writing Your Campaign’s Fundraising Plan — Your Fundraising Plan should include your projections and roadmap for each of your campaign’s revenue streams, including PACs
- Throwing a Fundraising Event — Learn how to plan and execute a campaign event that meets your campaign’s fundraising goals, and creates a space for PACs to be recognized for their support
Elissa McBride is Secretary-Treasurer of the American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees, AFL-CIO, which represents 1.6 million workers. She was elected by acclamation by the International Executive Board in March 2017.
McBride joined the labor movement as a member of the United Auto Workers District 65 in 1989. In 1991, she was recruited to the AFL-CIO Organizing Institute, a new initiative to expand the ranks of union organizers and grow the labor movement. McBride became the New England organizing director for the Amalgamated Clothing and Textile Workers and later directed the AFL-CIO Organizing Institute training program. At the AFL-CIO, she trained hundreds of community activists and organizers to build power in their workplaces by reaching workers one-on-one and moving them to take collective action.
McBride joined AFSCME as the director of the Education and Leadership Training Department in 2001. In this position, she used interactive teaching methods to prepare union members, leaders and staff to lead the labor movement into the future and become more effective champions for equality, justice and dignity on the job.
McBride lives in Takoma Park, Maryland, with her daughter, Rosie.