What You’ll Learn
- How to run an effective call time operation that brings in 60–70% of your campaign’s revenue
- How to use email and social media to solicit donations
- How to decide if you need — and then organize — a Finance Committee
Why This is Important
Money is the fuel for any campaign. In this course, you’ll learn new and time-tested methods for raising the money your campaign needs — from how to use social media to good, old-fashioned phone calls (they still work!).
- Making the Ask – Prep Sheet
- Sample Follow-Up Emails
- Supporting PACs and Organizations — a list of PACs and organizations that may support your campaign
- Writing Your Fundraising Plan — If you haven’t yet, you’ll want to develop the structure and strategy behind these revenue streams, to help you keep track of goals and important deadlines
- Digital 101 — Set up the online platforms that can support your fundraising efforts
- Making the Ask — Learn the steps and practice asking people for money before you dive in
Kelly is the Founder and CEO of the National Democratic Training Committee.
He has worked on dozens of campaigns at every level across the country. Kelly's specialty is in new campaign creation, candidate and staff training, and fundraising.
In addition to working for 18+ years in Democratic politics, he teaches a class on political campaigns at DePaul University in Chicago, where he lives with his family and dog, a large hungry blue Weimaraner named Jack Bauer. Kelly started his career in 1998 with Rep. Dennis Moore in KS-03. He's an avid basketball and poker player, though never at the same time. His wife would point out that at no time in this biography was he described as "good" at either hobby. That was a conscious decision.